View this email in your browser (http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=1bf57f312deaef772c706e1f8&id=eb924d47f5&e=[UNIQID])
Driving Tips Around Schools: Keeping Children Safe
The driving public, parents and caregivers who drive on campus and in neighborhoods near school can plan an important role in enhancing safety near schools by following safe driving practices. At arrival and dismissal times, drivers are often in a hurry and distracted which can lead to unsafe conditions for students and others walking, bicycling and driving in the area.
Drivers should always:
* Slow down and obey all traffic laws and speed limits, both in school zones and in neighborhoods surrounding the school.
* Comply with local school drop-off and pick-up procedures for the safety of all children accessing the school.
* Avoid double parking or stopping on crosswalks to let children out of the car. Double parking will block visibility for other children and other motorists. Visibility is further reduced during the rain and fog seasons when condensation forms on car windows.
* Avoid loading or unloading children at locations across the street from the school. This forces youngsters to unnecessarily cross busy streets—often mid-block rather than at a crosswalk.
* Prepare to stop for a school bus when overhead yellow lights are flashing. Drive with caution when you see yellow hazard warning lights are flashing on a moving or stopped bus.
* Stop for a school bus with its red overhead lights flashing, regardless of the direction from which the driver is approaching. Drivers must not proceed until the school bus resumes motion and the red lights stop flashing, or until signaled by the school bus driver to proceed.
* Watch for children walking or bicycling (both on the road and the sidewalk) in areas near a school.
* Watch for children playing and gathering near bus stops. Watch for children arriving late for the bus, who may dart into the street without looking for traffic.
* Watch for children walking or biking to school when backing up (out of a driveway or leaving a garage).
http://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Feepurl.com%2FbwJ_4X Share (http://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Feepurl.com%2FbwJ_4X)
http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Take+5+For+Safety+-+Driving+Tips+Around+Schools%3A+Keeping+Childern+Safe: http%3A%2F%2Feepurl.com%2FbwJ_4X Tweet (http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Take+5+For+Safety+-+Driving+Tips+Around+Schools%3A+Keeping+Childern+Safe: http%3A%2F%2Feepurl.com%2FbwJ_4X)
http://us9.forward-to-friend2.com/forward?u=1bf57f312deaef772c706e1f8&id=eb924d47f5&e=[UNIQID] Forward (http://us9.forward-to-friend2.com/forward?u=1bf57f312deaef772c706e1f8&id=eb924d47f5&e=[UNIQID])
Copyright © 2015 Maalt Tranport, All rights reserved.