View this email in your browser (http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=1bf57f312deaef772c706e1f8&id=5f508bf306&e=[UNIQID])
Mounting and Dismounting Equipment
Mounting and dismounting equipment is one of the most dangerous activities associated with equipment. The reason for this is due to a variety of factors:
o Rushing and not paying attention to foot or hand placement
o Slippery or obstructed surfaces
Things You Can Do to Reduce Injuries Due to Mounting and Dismounting
ALWAYS read the Operation & Maintenance Manual for proper mount and dismount procedures
* Inspect the ground before climbing up or down. Note where feet will be placed to avoid a twisted or sprained ankle
* ALWAYS check the condition of the steps, ladders and rails for mud, water, ice, dust or any other material that could cause slips
* Always maintain three points of contact when mounting and dismounting equipment – This means always have two feet and one hand or two hands and one foot in contact with the machine at all times
+ Doing so means not carrying items when mounting or dismounting equipment
+ If carrying items up and down from the cab is necessary, place the item(s) on a bench or a ledge of the equipment and stagger step the items up or down with the extra hand while maintaining three points of contact, or you can also use a rope to raise or lower the items
* ALWAYS mount and dismount while facing the equipment
* Inspect the condition of rails and guarding for damage and effectiveness
* Always close and latch gates, as required, for fall protection
* Close doors to the equipment in case the outside grab bars are used as handles while climbing in or out
DO NOT RUSH – Take the time needed to properly enter and exit the equipment; do not skip steps or rungs in the ladder
Questions to Generate Discussion:
– What is the top reason for slips and trips while mounting and dismounting your equipment?
– In what condition are the steps, ladders, and handrails on the machines that you use?
http://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Feepurl.com%2Fbr6_S9 Share (http://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Feepurl.com%2Fbr6_S9)
http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Take+5+For+Safety+-+Mounting+and+Dismounting+Equipment: http%3A%2F%2Feepurl.com%2Fbr6_S9 Tweet (http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Take+5+For+Safety+-+Mounting+and+Dismounting+Equipment: http%3A%2F%2Feepurl.com%2Fbr6_S9)
http://us9.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=1bf57f312deaef772c706e1f8&id=5f508bf306&e=[UNIQID] Forward (http://us9.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=1bf57f312deaef772c706e1f8&id=5f508bf306&e=[UNIQID])
Copyright © 2015 Maalt Tranport, All rights reserved.